Wednesday 25 February 2015

Taking Off into Wind

Well I suppose I'd better get back to my Grandfather's Pilot's Flying Log Book and also back to the War.

Training to fly in a D. H. 82 with P/O R.T.Dew instructing, March 1941

What was it like to learn to fly in a De Havilland 82 Tiger Moth? Well I'm afraid that I shall have to refer to other sources for this information because by the time I was born, my Grandfather had completely turned his back on his days in the RAF. Luckily for me though, another pilot who flew in the same squadron at the same time as my Grandfather has written a self-published book about his recollections.

Doug Gregory DFC was a pilot in 141 Squadron and his book Aeroaddict is well worth a read. He displays some of the same "have-a-go", yet self effacing attitude that my Grandfather had. This an excerpt from his book about his training in Tiger Moths;

 "Up until now my instructions from the front seat were "Keep your feet on the floor and keep your hands to yourself until I tell you differently." Into wind we turned, off down the field we ran, into the air we climbed. My idea of bliss. Not for long. The voice from the front said, "Now, place your feet on the rudder pedals and now hold the stick with your right hand. Let the aeroplane fly straight and level." The aeroplane flew itself. Even after this first air experience exercise, the Tiger made a better job of flying itself than with my interference. This was going to be easy."

I'm sure it was harder than he describes. Doug Gregory went on to become a test pilot so he was obviously a man of natural flying gifts.

My Grandfather was also having to spend afternoons at 6EFTS in the classroom, learning the theory of his 'trade'. So much to learn and do, and yet the war still raged on all fronts. 


31 Mar 1941 - The German Afrika Korps start an offensive to recapture Tobruk. Because of the need for aircraft on other campaigns (particularly in Greece), only three squadrons of Hurricanes and one of Blenheims remained in defence of the port. Within two weeks, the port was surrounded and Axis forces had crossed the Egyptian border.

No comments:

Post a Comment